Download the MobyMail Beta
Windows Installation Steps
- For a first time user, try it on a Windows 10 64-bit machine. Use an English version or at least your Windows user name is English
- Download the Windows Installer from the link in this website or just click here: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/mobyinstaller.mobycorp.com/mobyinstaller/MobyInstaller.exe
- Find the above downloaded file MobyInstaller.exe at your local download folder and double click it to install
- If your Windows Defender gives your a warning screen “Windows protected your PC. Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting…”, just click “more info” and then click “Run anyway” button that displayed, then you will be able to continue install
- Then the MobyMail setup will start, check the “I agree to the license terms and conditions” checkbox, and click “Install” button to continue
- The Windows User Account Control screen will prompt you “Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device ?”, click “Yes” to continue
- Then the MobyInstaller will start install some Microsoft dependencies and then the MobyMail windows client itself. Our MobyMail comes with a standard email client app as well as an email agent app as your personal email server. The apps will be installed in folder of “C:\Program Files (x86) \Moby”. The apps will use following hidden data folder to store your email data and personal secret key for this computer: “C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\Roaming\Moby”, where the USERNAME is your windows user name.
- At the end of the install, you will see a “Launch” button at the button of the screen, click the “Launch” button. Then the moby mail client, the moby mail agent, and an agent management daemon will be running. The mail client can be closed but the moby agent will continue to run in the background to check the incoming emails for you and finish sending the outgoing emails as well, unless you choose to shut it down by stopping it using the management daemon at the lower right corner of the screen
- If you are first time installer for this PC, you will have a chance to provide an email address and password and click the “Sign In” button to sign in. If you do not have an account yet and are also first time to sign up for a new email account, you will use the next three lines in the screen to sign up for a new account instead of using the first line to do sign in. A recommended email format is “firstname.lastname@example.org”. You cannot change the password for now, so be sure write down your password before clicking the “Sign Up” button.
- The email account and its password, once successfully signed up, will be globally unique. So if you ever signed up an account before, that account can be used for reinstall on the same PC or another PC, but you have to use the same password in order to do “Sign In”. You cannot “Sign Up” more than once. The Sign Up process will generate an unique cryptographic key pair to protect your email account and its content. The key pair will be stored locally on this PC.
- Once you finished sign up or sign in, you can start to use the Moby Mail client as you do for regular emails. The difference between Moby Mail and your regular email is that, all of your email data is stored locally on the PC you install the Moby Mail, no 3rd party server or cloud has your data. Our MobyMail currently only talks to another MobyMail account and cannot exchange email traffic with traditional emails yet. But that should change in the near soon future and we will add a gateway to the traditional email world.